Name:
Location: Grenoble, France

Friday, April 21, 2006

Is there anybody out there ?

I've been playing lately with JasperReports and one of its GUI frontend iReport (the other one being JasperAssistant, which is not free). Although they are great tools, I question their relevance in a Java/J2EE oriented project. It appeared that it's just easier and more efficient to create JSP pages with JFreeChart than elaborate real dirty SQL expressions or play with groups and bands to aggregate results. The latter I found, say, cumbersome.

Now you can ask : how do I convert from HTML to PDF ? Well there are tons of commercialware that do it right, and some freeware that do it, hmm, hmm, that do it if you're not took picky.

So I think that tools like Birt, JasperReports and alike are more for people that cannot, for whatever reason, get into a web dev project. But is there any left ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home